- Thank you for purchasing the Smart Weigh Digital BMI Bathroom Scale. Please read the following instructions before using your Digital Bathroom Scale.
- Before using the scale for the first time, check the battery compartment and remove any plastic insulation strips or packaging that may be in place to prevent battery drainage during shipping and storage.
- In the event that the LCD displays "Lo", replace with 2 x CR2032 lithium batteries. Be sure to properly align the positive and negative contacts.
- Once the scale is on, press the button on the bottom of the scale to select the desired unit measurement.
- Set the scale for kilograms (kg), stones (st/lb), or pounds (lb).
- The scale needs to be initialized before the first use and after battery replacement. To initialize, press firmly on the scale platform. The display will show a running zeros pattern and automatically turn off.
Personal Profile Setup
- To use the body fat analyzer, you must first set up a profile with your personal information so that your body composition can be calculated.
- You must be barefoot when taking a reading. The body fat measurements can only be calculated when your skin comes in direct contact with the scale platform.
Please note: During user setup, if the scale is inactive for 20 seconds, the scale will divert to general weighing mode and user data will not be saved.
1. The scale can store up to 8 user profiles. They can be used to store information such as gender, height, age, and weight for each user. This scale provides measurements of body fat, body water, bone mass, and muscle mass which are calculated per the user’s personal data. Note: If you only desire to use the scale for general body weighing you do not need to set up a profile.
2. To begin setting up your profile, press the SET button. The scale will enter the data input mode.
3. Press the or arrow to select a user number from the list of available users. All your information will be stored under this user ID number. Press SET to confirm.
4. Press the or arrow to select the correct gender and athlete mode. Choose between male, female, male athlete, and female athlete icons. Press SET to confirm.
5. Press the or arrow to increase or decrease the height to the correct value. Press SET to confirm.
6. Press the or arrow to increase or decrease the age to the correct value. Press SET to confirm.
7. After all settings are entered, scale will divert to weighing mode. “0.0” will be displayed on the screen. Step on the scale immediately to take the first weight reading. Note: To complete user setup, the initial weight reading must be taken. If user does not step on the scale or scale is inactive for 5 seconds, the scale will automatically turn off and no information will be saved.
8. Weight will stabilize on the screen and the scale will proceed to calculate other body measurements. While analysis is in progress, the screen will display a running zeros pattern.
9. Next, your readings of body fat, body water, muscle mass, and bone mass will show on the screen.
10. To create additional users, repeat the steps above.
- The scale can operate as a conventional weight-reading scale without any special programming steps required. To use the scale in general weighing mode only:
- Remove any plastic insulation strips or packaging from the battery compartment.
- Once the scale is initialized, position the scale on a hard, flat surface as carpeted or uneven surfaces may affect the accuracy.
- Step onto the scale platform and stand still. After a few seconds, you will see the weight flashing to indicate a weight reading.
- Your weight will display for 5 seconds and the scale will automatically shut off.
Body Fat Analyzer
- If the scale recognizes the user and the user is barefoot on the platform, the scale will automatically display the user’s body fat readings. To set up a profile and become a recognized user please see the steps outlined in the "Personal Profile Setup" section.
- Step onto the scale platform with bare feet and remain still while the scale computes your weight. Your weight will then appear.
- Based on your previous weight, the scale will recognize you as a user and will calculate your body fat readings per the data saved in your profile. While weight is stored and analysis is in progress the screen will display a running zeros pattern.
- When the scale successfully recalls your user profile, it will display the body fat, water, muscle, and bone results in order.
- If two users are within the same weight range the scale will display the User ID numbers of each of those users on the screen. The user must then select the correct user number to identify himself by pressing the button to select P1 or the to select P2.
- If three or more users have similar weights, the scale will scroll two numbers per screen. To select the correct user profile, wait until the correct screen appears, then press the to select the number on the left or the to select the number on the right. To select your User ID manually follow the steps below:
- Press SET to turn the scale on.
- Press the up arrow or down arrow button to select your personal user ID. Your personal data will appear on the screen.
- Wait until 0.0 appears on the screen and then step on the scale with bare feet. Stand still while the weight is measured.
- Your weight will show for two seconds.
- Continue to stand still on the scale while your other readings are calculated. The screen will show a running zeros pattern while the scale computes.
- The body fat, water, muscle, and bone readings appear next.
- The results will show three times and then the scale will turn off.
- “----“ – Maximum Capacity Exceeded. Remove the extra weight immediately as permanent damage can occur to the load cell.
- "Lo" - Batteries are low. Please replace with 2 new CR2032 batteries.
- If the weight is all that appears after the Bio Impedance Analysis (BIA) was attempted, or you get Instability Error, Contact Error, or Body Fat Range Error, repeat the measurement again while maintaining maximum contact between your feet and metal sensors.
Please note: If the scale has been moved or has been inactive for two days, step onto the scale and step right off. This process ensures the scale is set and ready to use. At other times step, right onto the scale for weight readings.
Clearing the Memory
- To clear all user profiles stored in the memory, press and hold the reset button for 5 seconds.
- LCD will display "Clr ALL." The scale will turn off automatically in a few seconds. Clearing the Memory is successful.
Care and Maintenance
- The product is intended for home / consumer use only; it is not intended for professional use in hospitals or medical facilities.
- The body fat percentage of a pregnant woman could be inaccurate and misleading due to the changes in the body composition. Pregnant women should consult their doctor before use.
- This scale uses BIA (Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis) to determine body fat percentage. BIA sends a harmless signal through your body. Do not use this product if you have a pacemaker or any other internal medical device. When in doubt, contact your physician.
- Clean with a lightly dampened cloth. Do not use solvents or immerse the product in water. Thoroughly dry the scale after cleaning as moisture can damage the scale’s sensors and electronics.
- Do not use the scale on carpet or uneven surfaces and do not drop or jump on it. Treat it with care to ensure the best performance.
- Do not store the scale where you store cleaning chemicals. The vapors may affect the electronic components of your scale. Do not store the scale on its side.
- Store your scale in a clean, dry location at room temperature. Dust, dirt, and moisture from humidity can accumulate on the weighing sensors causing inaccuracy or malfunction.
- To prevent battery drainage, do not store anything on the scale. Do not dispose of batteries in fire. Batteries may explode or leak.
- Do not compare weight readings from one scale to another as some differences will exist due to manufacturing tolerances.
- It is recommended that you measure the same time of the day, preferably early evening before a meal, for the most consistent results.
- Do not disassemble this product other than replacing batteries. It contains no user serviceable parts.
- If you weigh yourself twice and get two different readings, your weight lies between the two readings.
Body Mass Index
Your BMI is calculated based on your height and weight. As your body fat, water, muscle and bone results appear, your BMI appears as a symbol in the bar at the bottom of the display. The symbols are:
- Indicates Underweight
+ Indicates Overweight
0 Indicates Normal Weight
++ Indicates Obesity
Maintaining a proper weight is essential to healthy living. Obesity has been linked to a higher risk of heart disease, diabetes, and some forms of cancer. The Body Mass Index (BMI) is calculated based on a person’s height and weight, and is the most widely accepted measurement of weight per health professionals. Use the chart below to determine your own BMI by matching your height in the left column with your weight in the center. Anyone, male or female, with a BMI of 25-29 is considered overweight and a body mass index of 30 is considered obese.
- The human body consists of a percentage of fat. Body fat is an important component of a healthy and functioning body because it protects vital organs, helps regulate body temperature, stores vitamins, and helps the body sustain itself when food is scarce. However, too much body fat or too little body fat can cause damage to your health. It is difficult to gauge how much body fat we have in our bodies simply by looking in the mirror. That is why it is important to measure and monitor your body fat percentage. Body fat percentage gives you a better measurement of fitness than weight alone; the composition of your weight loss could mean you are losing muscle mass rather than fat.
- Ideal body fat content is not the same for all people. Age, sex, and hereditary are variables in this measurement. Refer to the table below as a general guide. Consult your physician to determine what is ideal for you.
It is best to measure body fat and weight daily at the same time. For the best accuracy use this scale without clothing. Feet must be bare and clean and for best readings they should be slightly damp.
Body water is an important component of body weight. It represents over half of your total weight and almost two thirds of your lean body mass (predominantly muscle). Water is critical to healthy function in the body. It performs several important roles in the body. All the cells in the body can only function properly if they have enough water. Water also plays a vital role in regulating the body’s temperature, specifically through perspiration. The combination of your weight and fat measurements may appear to be normal, but your body hydration level could be insufficient for healthy living.
- This scale measures your weight, the electrical impedance between your feet, and then combines those readings with personal information you entered (height, age, gender). It uses this information to calculate your body fat percentage. Please note that your level of hydration (water content) varies throughout the day and thus affects your impedance measurements. If you are dehydrated, there is a greater chance of fluctuation in the body fat percentage displayed by this scale than when you are fully hydrated.
- For best results, choose a consistent time to use this analyzer, such as in the morning. By establishing the pattern of your body’s fluctuations over a period of one month, you can determine your average level. Women will have more fluctuations in water content than men and need to monitor their readings over a longer period to establish a personal average. Wait several hours before taking a reading when drinking coffee or alcohol, taking diuretic medications, or exercising. These all affect the level of hydration and the accuracy of the scale.
- Body water measurements results are influenced by the proportion of body fat and muscle. If the proportion of body fat is high, or the proportion of muscle is low, then the body water results will tend to be low.
- Measurements such as body weight, body fat, and body water are tools for you to use as part of your healthy lifestyle. Since short term fluctuations can be normal, we suggest that you chart your progress over time, rather than focus on a single day’s reading.
- An inactive lifestyle can cause a loss of lean body mass while body fat increases. There are many benefits in gaining muscle mass such as: reversing the decline in strength, bone density, and muscle mass with aging, and maintenance of flexible joints.
- Proper calorie intake and nutrition are vital in maintaining a healthy body. Consult your physician before undertaking any exercise or diet program.
- Regular exercise and a balanced diet can help maintain healthy bones. Like muscle, bone is a living tissue that can respond to exercise by becoming stronger. For most people, bone mass peaks in their thirties. Then people begin to lose bone. A regular exercise regimen will help prevent that loss. Calcium and vitamin D contribute to healthy bones.
- Bone mass readings given by this product are an estimation of the amount of bone in your body. Individuals with osteoporosis or low bone densities may not get accurate estimations. Please consult your doctor with any concerns.
Recycling old electricals is easy!
If you’ve bought a new electrical, take your old item to your local recycling centre to ensure that it is treated in an environmentally friendly way.
Find out how to minimise your effect on the environment by visiting www.recycle-more.co.uk. Locate your nearest recycling facilities for electrical waste with the recycle-more.co.uk bank locator, which includes an easy-to-use interactive mapping system.
www.recycle-more.co.uk offers lots of information and advice on all aspects of recycling, making it quick and simple for everyone to make a difference and recycle-more! You will also find advice and tips on how to recycle waste electrical goods and other household items, making it quick and easy for everyone to recycle-more!
- Our Smart Weigh products are individually tested and backed by our 2-year warranty.